Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Painting Has Become Significant

I was talking to a friend a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned how good I should feel that I have found something I love doing. There are not many people that find something that can put them into a state of flow where your perception of time seems to disappear. I was a little dismissive, but it was a good observation. When I paint, I do sometimes lose track of time. I can be in my basement studio working on a piece and I will lose all awareness of time, three hours can pass without me even being aware. I will look at the clock on my computer and be surprised by the time. I put this up against my normal day at work where time seems to stand still. 

It doesn't mean I am producing great work that people are clamoring to buy, but it does mean I am producing work which might be the most important thing. How much of our lives can slip away with no sign we were even here. So far, in my painting journey, I have completed 70 paintings. As the years pass, I would like to mark them with at least a couple dozen more per year. If I live 15 more years, that's another 360 paintings. Is that possible? Only time will tell. Here is my most recent work, Maria Callas (14x11 oil on canvas): 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home