Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Nipples are bad...

Several weeks ago during a post-work TV induced lobotomy I chanced upon a program called Dr. 90210. It's a program that follows individuals through a cosmetic surgery procedure and also goes into a bit of the "drama" around being a plastic surgeon in LA. It represented so much that is wrong with America and the decline of its culture. I should qualify that with this feeling I have that at one time we did have a more cultured world, that we were more European than we are now "American." (When I say American I am thinking about everything that we--I should say I--am ashamed of in our society: tract housing, fast food, fat, ignorance, violence and an inability to seperate what is tawdry and fake from what is valuable and real.) A woman has a breast implant because it's going to make her feel better about herself and it's going to be so much fun to go out and shop for new shirts. Can we really become more beautiful by going under the knife. Is our beauty really only measured by the effects of gravity and the natural process of aging. Or is plastic surgery similar to applying a coat of paint to a shack. Sure, it will look better, but it is still a shack.

But here is the thing that really caught my attention. Imagine the surgeon working on this woman's breasts with instruments of violence. He has cut a hole in the tops of them and is pouring a liquid into the hole. When the liquid turns "watermelon" colored the bleeding has stopped enough to insert the implant. He has cut her breast open, a perfectly fine breast, that is being mutilated. All of this is going on and they have placed a blurr over the area that would be her nipple so it can't be seen. It would be comperable to showing a mutilated body, arms ripped off, shot through the chest, a bloody mess, and there is a blurr over the man's penis because that would be shocking. What the hell? I am sitting here channel surfing and eating some crummy nachos and I come across the shot of a woman having her breast cut up, blood everywere, but they have, for my own sake, and God bless them, blurred out the woman's nipple. And by golly if they had not had the decency to do so I would have immediately dropped down and started masturbating. What the fu... Yes, this country is going down fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home