Thursday, January 29, 2009

Our Prison

What is the best prison? It is a prison that we allow to be constructed around us. It is a prison that constrains our choices as if having a choice is what defines freedom. We are caught in a prison of our own design that circumscribes our lives within a narrow range of what is normal, what is good. We don't even know what a good life is because we have been pumped up with this image of a car, a house, a job, 401K, weekends, 9 to 5, 30 years of work, the annual vacation, retirement, and old age looking out over 70 years of life lived within set limits. We are prisoners caught within an illuson of what should be, rather than what could be. Should is a dangerous concept. How should I live my life? versus How could I live my life? How can I live? Where is the passion, joy, happiness, of doing the unexpected, of breaking out of the box of control we, sadly, put on ourselves. I declare my independence and stand free of this Leave it to Beaver dream world, hampster wheel running, appearance living life of Should. I stand naked on my roof screaming into the night "Give me life!" Life? Death? Growing old. Fat. Dumb. Happy. Happy? I want to chase down a deer with a club and drag it back to my four bedroom, five bathroom hut with blood caked on my chest. I want to rinse my body in a cool stream with the moon floating bright above me. I want to run into the bright light with no desire for anything but meat, water, sex and my tribe. I want to be afraid and conquer that fear. I want to feel the cold and then have it fade before a fire. I want to live with no pavement, no walls, no malls, no bottles, pans, cars, phones, schedules... At this peak moment of our so called civilization, this rape of the earth, air, seas, and humanity, I want to see the ocean. Maybe I just need to get out of the house...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home